Locust Creek Covered Bridge, built in 1868, became a link in one of the nation's earliest transcontinental roads. Today, it is the longest of Missouri's four remaining covered bridges, measuring 151 feet. The bridge was built out of white pine using the Howe-truss system, named for William Howe, who patented the design in 1840. The essential features of the design were its use of vertical iron rods to draw the diagonal wooden members tight against the top and bottom of the bridge. The bridge features arched entrances with ramps sloping away from both ends.