at Ha Ha Tonka State Park
Turkey Pen Hollow Trail Rules - As with any backpacking trip, trail users should be considerate of wear and tear on the trail, taking only photographs and leaving only footprints. The impact of fire rings and wood gathering for campfires in wilderness areas have led to the prohibition of backcountry campfires.
- Only hikers and backpackers are allowed on this trail. Equestrian and bicycle use is prohibited.
- Backpackers should register at the park office before starting their trip. Even after the office is closed, there are trail registration cards located outside the door to the office, and a mailbox to leave your completed form. If planning to arrive late after hours for your reservation please contact the visitor center to make the necessary arrangements.
- Backpackers must register before camping on Turkey Pen Hollow Trail. Camping is free, but reservations are required. Same day reservations are possible April through October (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.). It is strongly encouraged that you reserve your campsite at least one week prior to camping by calling the visitor center.
- Camping is only permitted the three designated campsites.
- The maximum group size at the campsites is seven.
- Campfires are prohibited. Stoves must be used for cooking.
- Cutting implements such as saws and hatchets are not allowed on the trail.
- Permitted camping is only allowed for backpackers at designated sites. Checkout time is 2 p.m. on the day of departure.
- Overnight parking is allowed only for registered backpackers. Please display your daily permit on the dash of your vehicle.
- All other rules and regulations pertaining to park use are applicable to trail users.