There are two different entry-level positions within the Missouri State Park Rangers. The only difference between the two positions is the amount of experience required.
The park ranger recruit position requires an individual to have 60 semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university. Fifteen of the 60 hours of credit must be in law enforcement, criminal justice, sociology, psychology or a closely related behavioral science.
The park ranger position requires an individual to be a graduate of a Missouri Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission approved law enforcement academy.
Both positions require applicants to:
- Successfully pass a physical performance test. (Additional Information)
- Appear before an oral interview board.
- Successfully pass an intensive background investigation.
- Have or be able to attain a valid Missouri driver's license.
- Be age 21 or older.
- Officers will not have tattoos or brands that a reasonable person would find offensive, such as tattoos or brands depicting or supporting criminal behavior, drug usage, nudity, profanity, promiscuity, subversive groups, bigotry, etc. Officers will not have any visible tattoos which would be seen while in uniform. It should be noted that all officers will become bicycle certified and shorts are an authorized part of the bicycle uniform.
- Successfully complete a psychological evaluation.
- Successfully complete a medical exam that includes drug screening.
- Successfully complete a Peace Officer Standards and Training certified law enforcement academy and be eligible to be certified as a peace officer in the state of Missouri under Chapter 590 RSMO.
- All rangers must be able to participate in and complete annual in-service training in firearms, expandable baton, defensive tactics, emergency vehicle operation and defensive driving, criminal law updates, first aid and CPR, and pepper mace.
To apply for either of these two positions, individuals must complete a Missouri Merit System Application and return it to the Office of Administration Personnel Division. All applicants will receive a score based on their expertise and education