9/30/2023 | Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site | Pilot Knob, MO
Visitors to the site often ask questions about what happened after the Battle of Pilot Knob and the subsequent escape of the Union forces. The retreat from the fort has been of interest for a long time, and in 1995 a map was developed for people interested in learning more. This map has been available to the public ever since.
At this free event, you can follow interpreters along the route taken by the retreating Union forces, and learn about the retreat and several points of interest along the way.
This tour will travel the route from the historic site to Leasburg – stopping at interpretation points along the way – and then stop for lunch in Sullivan. It will then return to the site via Highway 185, stopping at Potosi to interpret General Shelby’s activities in Potosi, which were happening at the same time as the battle in Pilot Knob. Each party will follow the lead car in procession as we move from each stop.
We will have two 10-person vans for seniors and others who would like to attend but are not able to drive the tour themselves. If you would like to ride in one of these vans, please call 573-546-3454 to reserve a seat. Everyone else who plans to attend should RSVP by calling 573-546-3454 or sending an email to Bryan.Bethel@dnr.mo.gov.
- 8:30 a.m. – Get organized and give participants maps and/or van assignments,
- 9 a.m. – Leave Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site.
- 9:20 a.m. – Arrive at Caledonia. Stop at city fairgrounds on Webster Road to interpret the interaction between Shelby’s cavalry and Ewing’s command.
- 9:30 a.m. – Proceed to Palmer on Highway Z.
- 10 a.m. – Arrive at Palmer. Stop at Palmer church and spring. Interpret rest stop and massacre of six militia men left at the town. Proceed to Palmer Cemetery; visit graves of Civil War veterans.
- 10:30 a.m. – Proceed to Huzzah Conservation Area.
- 11:30 a.m. – Arrive at Huzzah Conservation Area. Stop at shooting range parking lot to interpret the retreat up the Huzzah Valley into the town of Leasburg. Proceed to Leasburg.
- Noon – Arrive at Leasburg. Interpret the battle and the relief from Union forces arriving from Rolla.
- 12:30 p.m. – Proceed to Sullivan. Stop for lunch.
- 1-2 p.m. – Eat lunch.
- 2 p.m. – Proceed to Potosi via Highway 185.
- 2:40 p.m. – Arrive at Potosi. Stop at Walmart parking lot and interpret the activities of General Shelby in Potosi as the battle was going on in Pilot Knob. Proceed back to Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site.
- 3:30 – Arrive at Battle of Pilot Knob and end the program.
Battle of Pilot Knob State Historic Site is located at:
- Interpretive Programs